Child Nutrition in the Early Years
The year between 1-6 years of child nutrition has a key role in the early years. It is the most important years of growth & development. Growth is a bit slower in the first year of a child’s life but major developments starts at the age of 2nd year, like physical, mental and emotional development. Motor skills like running, balancing, drawing — all getting refined with age of child.
Brain development begins from 2nd year. Speech and vocabulary develops from 2-3rd years of a child. Mental developments like dream, fantasy and all other developments starts during 2-4th year. So a child’s nutrition become inevitable .
Not only this activity also increases markedly during the second year of life as the child become mobile. Development of a full dentition by about the age of 2 years also increases the range of child nutrition & food that can safely be eaten.There is an increase need for all nutrients, but the pattern of increase varies for different nutrients in relation to their role in growth of specific tissue.
Parent’s Role in Child’s Nutrition
As a parent, one is well aware how important it is to give your child the right nutrition for growth and to lay the foundations of good nutrition in the early part of child’s life. Feeding children is not the easiest thing in the world. children want sweet sugary snack, potato crackers, fizzy drinks fast junk food and this the easy option.Getting them to eat healthy meals can be tough and time consuming –but ultimately worth it.
Right choices ( for parents)
- Children will need at least three or more child -sized serving of veggies daily.
- Encourage your child to play exercise and be physically active. Your child should spend only one -two hours a day watching TV or using the computers
- If your child skips breakfast , will not consume the necessary nutrients for body to produce the energy needed for the day. This can decrease mental performance.
- Child should drink at least six glasses of water daily to avoid dehydration.
- Children should be physically active to promote a healthy lifestyle .
- Being physically active as a family is a good way to bond and helps teach your child that exercise is fun
Emphasize and Remember
- Serve appropriate portion , over -sized portions often contribute to weight gain
- Give your child three main meals and two snacks daily
- if your child is a snacker, space snack at least one -hour before meals.
- Serve warm foods than very hot or cold food ,its good for digestion.
- If your child cannot finish meal, serve smaller portion.
What does your child do? Lets start the discussions.